Created circa 1940 by British firm Zamora y Guerra. The brand Saint Luis Rey appeared in the Registry of Exporting Manufactures in the 1940 under the ownership of Zamora y Guerra located at 810 Maximo Gomez Street, Havana. (According to a contract in the 1940's the brand was distributed in the UK by Mr. Nathan Silverstone.
Production continued uninterrupted after the Revolution. In the 1960's a new contract was signed between Cubatabaco and N. R. Silverstone Cigar Limited UK. According to the contract Cubataaco could only export this brand exclusively into the UK and N. R. Silverstone Cigar Limited found not re-export the cigars outside the UK.
Nevertheless Saint Luis Rey cigars appeared in the other countries due to "international trading" not related to Cubatabaco. This exclusivity was lost in the 1990's. Cubatabaco began to export the brand worldwide in 1993. In the UK< this brand is still being distributed by the N. R. Silverstone Cigar Limited, the only Cuban brand which is not distributed by Hunters and Frankau at the moment. Saint Luis Rey has been imported tint Hong Kong since 1994 by the Pacific Cigar Company.
*source "An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Post-Revolution Havana Cigars" Author Min Ron NEE * July 2005