If you keep up with our weekly email newsletter, you know that we love to share our favorite books, gadgets, and accessories that we think will make your life easier. For the holidays, we've taken it one step further with our two part gift guide! Check out some of our suggestions below!
Top books on my shelf:
- If you follow our newsletter know I'm a huge fan of the Stoics; an ancient Greek philosophy developed around 300 B.C. as a refinement of Cynicism. Ryan Holiday, one of my favorite authors, wrote the The Daily Stoic, which breaks down handling life's trials into easily digestible pieces. Check it out HERE.
- "There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.” Written for martial artists but accessible to all, this book analyzes the process of struggle and mastery of conflict that defines human interaction. One of my all time favories The Book of Five Rings, by Miyamoto Musashi, available HERE.
- Emotional Awareness: Overcoming the Obstacles to Psychological Balance and Compassion written by Paul Ekman and the Dalai Lama is an amazing read. A lively debate between two great minds about science, spirituality and the quest for happiness. Grab it HERE.
- For my fellow history buffs, The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday is an amazing addition to any library. In my humble opinion this book should be mandatory reading; a collection of stories from different historical figures, detailing their triumphs through extremely difficult situations. But don't take my word for it, order a copy HERE.
For the traveler:
- Some of the best gifts are the ones that are both useful. As a frequent traveler, I discovered the Brill Travel luggage scale, totally awesome and portable! Two seconds to weigh bags and feel confident there won't be any "overweight" fees from the airline. A must buy for your traveling compadre! Get it HERE!
- Obviously you need a couple watches for any trip, maybe three if they're like me. Why three you ask? One for the beach, one for physical activity, and of course a dress watch. Some call it high maintenance, I call it prepared. To transport my finery, I use the Louis Vuitton traveling watch roll, which easily carries two large faced watches. With a standard watch size, the case neatly fits three watches. Once you start to enjoy the luxury of having accessory choices on the road, you’ll never go back. Click HERE to check out the slections.
- International travel, so fun but also sometimes a complete pain in the arse. Voltage converters are key and, in my opinion, NOT created equal. Bestek 200W is my brand of choice. For everything other than a smart device you will need one of these babies. Most European countries use higher voltage with a different cycle rate; plug anything short of your laptop/phone into a regular outlet and goodbye power! Our nanny forgot this was a thing, plugged in a nightlight for the kiddos and it literally exploded. No bueno. Look out for your world traveling pals by getting them one of these babies HERE.
For the one who has everything:
If you really want to find them something they don't have, but it seems impossible, look no longer! The Gerber Tactical pen is meant to be carried on your person as a protection device. The pen has some serious heft to it, with cutouts to allow for a better grip. One end of the pen has a specialized tip which can be used to break glass..how cool is that. I have traveled with my Gerber Tactical Pen through many airports in the US and abroad. This pen complies with TSA and FAA travel regulations, thus it can be carried wherever their heart desires. Check it out HERE.
Smart phone cases drive me nuts. They take the simple elegance of mobile devices, make them bulky and unattractive. Carbon Trim Solutions designed a sleek solution made out of real hand laid carbon fiber. The minimalist design allows the device to remain slim and light weight while offering complete protection. I'm obsessed. Everyone has a smart phone these days, so this is a no brainer. Take a peek HERE!
The notebooks from Baron Fig are absolutely amazing. This is by far the best notebook I have ever used, and makes an awesome gift for those who like to stay organized (or for those who need a little nudge getting their sh*t together). They blow away MoleSkin notebooks by miles. Better paper, stitched binding, and the notebook lays FLAT which is way easier to use. Remember, "what gets measured, gets done." Check out their stock HERE.